Today a Sacramento judge ruled that the governor could impose the furloughs. Four unions had filed the action resulting in this ruling.  CCPOA Vice President Chuck Alexander issued a letter today indicating CCPOA will be in court on February 5th to present our own arguments against the furloughs as they apply to BU 6 members, including FLSA concerns.  I talked to Tom Hoffman briefly, but he did not have any specific directions at this time, with no new definitive information available.

An overtime memo was issued today which indicated that OT would only be allowed in exigent circumstances.  I don’t know what that means.  I do know that Last, Best and Final and Policy 08-08 DO NOT state that “exigent circumstances” are the criteria for overtime.  I believe that there are also other parts of that memo that violate Last, Best and Final.  I have asked an agent to help author a class action grievance on this memo.  Let your reps know if you are unable to get your work done and OT is denied.

We still don’t know what cuts, if any, will occur within DAPO.  The legislature has until February 27th to introduce bills and there are hundreds anticipated. I plan to meet with Mike Jimenez next week and discuss these issues. 

PVDMI is scheduled to roll out statewide beginning in South Central on 2/23/09.  We have not yet been given a notice from Labor Relations, which will make it difficult to negotiate before the implementation date. 

The topic of mandatory training includes much speculation on the actual training required for DAPO agents.  Before 7K, agents participated in 40 hours of training.  After 7K, 52 hours were added totaling 92 hours of training.  7K training went away and we should have been back to 40.  However, new trainings are constantly being added.  I am trying to ascertain what training is occurring in all regions. These are the trainings I believe are currently required:

Child Victimization                                         2 hours
Bloodborne pathogens                                     1 hour
Use of Force                                                   2 hours
EEO Sexual Harassment                                   2 hours
Firearms Policy                                               2 hours
Tuberculosis Quiz                                            1 hour
Public Records Act OJT Quiz                             1 hour
Information Security Awareness OJT Quiz          1 hour
PAST (4 hrs 1,2,3 quarter, 2 hours 4th quarter)  14 hours
Baton                                                                2 hours
Range 2 hours per quarter                                 8 hours
Respiratory Mask Fit                                         1 hour
CLETS bi-annual recertification                          2 hours
Defensive driving (every 4 year                           4 hours
ADA Armstrong/Clark                                     6 hours
DECS

Please let me know of other training that you are required to attend.  Agents in the pilot units for the PVDMI were required to complete extra training, however, they were given overtime. All agents will be required to complete 16 hours of PVDMI training in the next few months. Keep track of your training, so you can let your supervisor know when you reach your required training maximum.

Meetings scheduled for February are 2/4 with DARS Director Thomas Powers and 2/5 with DAPO Director Tom Hoffman. 

We are trying to resolve issues where agent’s seniority points are wrong.  Send an email to your personnel specialist.  If you are not successful in fixing the problem, send me an email including your attempts to fix problems.

I am still working on the web page at www.cdcrparole.com but it is accessible.
It will have numerous links often used by agents.  Also, meeting dates, minutes of PAAC meetings, and job stewards’ lists will be included.

There are a lot of rumors circulating.  If you hear something about DAPO, CCPOA, etc., please call your PAAC representatives to confirm information.  I am trying to provide information as I receive it.  We are CCPOA and our strength is in our ability to provide factual information and unite in protecting our profession and the job that we perform.

The next CCPOA State Board meeting will be February 21st and 22nd at the Holiday Inn, 30 J Street, Sacramento.

The next PAAC meeting is March 14th at Radisson Suites Covina, 1211 E. Garvey Street, Covina, CA 91724.

Dave MacIlvaine and I met with Tom Hoffman, Bill Cuellar and Denise Milano for the PAAC/Director’s meeting on 1/15/09. Tom stated that there is again a freeze on EOTs.  I asked why there were ongoing lateral moves occurring when there is a freeze.  Why can’t we use these moves for EOTs, if they do not create hardships.  He was receptive.  It is important that you let your reps know of moves that are occurring anywhere in the state.  We need to identify moves into these vacant positions immediately since they continue to occur. 

Adverse actions are slow in being dealt with and we asked Tom to ensure that actions are handled in a more expedient manner.  New DAPO policy is being written that will allow parolees’ cash assistance checks to exceed $500. This will reduce the number of checks written.  Additionally, policy is being written which will allow DAPO POC psychiatrists to re-evaluate and modify mental health classifications (CCCMS and EOP) in the field.  This was previously not an option.  Parolees had to remain at whatever classification they were when released from custody.

Stephen Walker from CCPOA Legislative Office called me to attend a meeting with Senate President pro Tem Darrell Steinberg on 1/16/09.  Also attending the meeting were Mike Jimenez and lobbyist Craig Brown.  There was a discussion on possible ways to save money.  It appears that DAPO is looking at the most immediate cuts.  I have asked Mike to continue to meet with me to ensure that we are a part of the discussion regarding the legislature’s proposed parole reforms.

There is no new furlough information. Directives should soon be released because it is slated to begin 2/1/09, unless a judge rules to stop the process on 1/29/09.

Remember, if your hardship transfer was approved or disapproved, it is your responsibility to ensure that all cases are moved to Director Hoffman’s level for confirmation or reconsideration.  Once your regional administrator responds to your request, forward to HQ immediately.

Memos from Regional Administrators were released 1/14/09 in Region II, III, and IV regarding overtime restrictions, with references to Policy 08-08.  There were different variations of memos, which were subsequently rescinded. After reviewing the memos, it appeared that PA IIIs couldn’t authorize OT.  Parole Administrators would have to approve all OT requests.  Supervisors should be allowed to do their job, which is supervise their agents and know when OT is needed.  The delay in having a parole administrator deal with each agent’s requests, in a district based on up to possibly 50 agents OT requests in a district, seems pointless. A new memo should be forthcoming that will make OT restrictions consistent throughout the state.

Remember, after hour calls that exceed 7 minutes, are billed in 15-minute increments.  I also heard in at least one region that FUNAs are no longer allowed overtime, despite the fact that there are numerous vacancies, which effect FUNA agent’s ability to meet Valdivia time frames. Agents should not work for free.

If your supervisor is waiving specs, it must be tangible work for the month.  Make sure waived specs are documented in your files.  Management continues to expect agents to do their jobs, but with many caseloads in excess of 154, this is virtually impossible.  Agents are still accountable and we want to ensure that no one suffers consequences when they are not allowed time to do their job.  With a possible 10% reduction in work hours (furloughs), it will be even more difficult to accomplish all the tasks agents are required to do.  Document all situations where specs are not waived and adequate overtime is not being authorized.  You cannot be forced to flex your schedule to avoid paying overtime.

We are requesting an updated seniority list for each division and will get them to the membership.  Contact your personnel specialist if your points are wrong. 

We will have one more GPS workload meeting on 1/18/09, before negotiations occur.  Agents should contact me or other team members (Andrew Mounts, Paul Price, Santiago Auditor) with issues, concerns and/or suggestions for GPS caseload specs.

The PAAC meeting list is being revised based on CCPOA changing it’s convention date to July.  I will post the schedule through the first half of the year as soon as locations are finalized.

A state board was appointed by the governor to assess different aspects of sex offenders’ supervision, laws, etc.  The board would like to know what type of hardships agents are experiencing in trying to find compliant housing, time spent on different duties, problems supervising homeless GPS parolees and other difficulties. They would also like specific incidences and individual stories.  Please send me emails so I can compile information for the board.  This is very important and we can use this information in our upcoming negotiations also.  Please take the time to respond 

CCPOA Peacekeeper encourages members to write articles for the magazine.  You can write Letters to the Editor also if you have opinions you want to address.

I hope to have a web page up by the end of the month.  www.cdcrparole.com
It will have numerous links often used by agents.  Also, meeting dates, minutes of PAAC meetings, and job stewards’ lists will be included.

 There are a lot of rumors circulating.  If you hear something about DAPO, CCPOA, etc., please call me or other PAAC representatives to confirm information.  I am trying to provide information as I receive it.  We are CCPOA and our strength is in our ability to provide factual information and unite in protecting our profession and the job that we perform daily

The next CCPOA State Board meeting will be February 21st and 22nd in Sacramento.

The next PAAC meeting is March 14th at Radisson Suites Covina, 1211 E.
Garvey Street, Covina, CA 91724.

Where to start! A lot is going on and our profession is potentially facing significant changes.

In my last blog, I apparently “offended” some at CCPOA about my reference to not being included in dialogue or activities related to parole agents in the legislature. Stephen Walker, CCPOA Legislative Officer, spoke to me about it when he called me on January 5th. It is noted that when he called me that day, it was to invite me to attend a meeting with Assembly Speaker Karen Bass. Mike Jimenez and lobbyist Craig Brown also attended. We discussed both the Governor’s proposal with no parole for non-serious/non-violent offenders and the Legislators’ 6 month discharge for these same offenders. I have also spoken with lobbyists from other law enforcement organizations that want to support our efforts for continued parole supervision to ensure community safety. There are also future meetings planned and I am hopeful that PAAC’s participation will continue.

On Saturday, January 10th, we had one of our largest PAAC meetings ever. Approximately 180 people attended including: CCPOA President Mike Jimenez, Vice President Chuck Alexander, CDCR Secretary Matt Cate, CDCR Undersecretary of Operations Scott Kernan, DAPO Director Tom Hoffman, Regional Administrator Dan Stone, PSAs, PA I, II and IIIs, Parole Administrators and others. Agents came from Redding, Bakersfield, San Jose and many other areas. It was a very lively meeting with some strong exchanges between many. Since we do not have many answers, there is a lot of speculation from everyone.

CCPOA representatives said that they are seeking legal sanctions regarding the furloughs. Matt Cate, Scott Kernan and Tom Hoffman all speculated on the possible options for furloughs relative to the Governor’s Executive Order S-16-08 indicating closure of operations on the first and third Fridays. If institutions and/or parole are exempt from the Friday furloughs, one option would be some form of PLP, however it is not time that could be cashed out. DPA is supposed to post details on its website next week. Tom indicated that he and the regional administrators will be working through the weekend and continue to seek options for implementing these furloughs if it is not stopped in the courts. Some bargaining units have filed in Superior Court and a hearing date of January 29th is set, for a ruling on furloughs for those employees before the February start date.

Tom Hoffman indicated that they are still talking about reduced caseloads. The American Probation and Parole Association (APPA) published a study from September 2006 that talked about the appropriate sizes of caseloads. It is available on the web.

Tom also addressed a document: “Proposal to Develop a Parole Banked Caseload System” written by Stephen Goya. This is one of many drills/proposals that DAPO is considering to address the budget crisis.

Questions were asked if workload expectations would be decreased with a reduced work period. There is no definitive answer at this time. It is obvious that GPS caseloads, mixed caseloads, FUNAs, etc. cannot be expected to do the same workload in less hours.

There are no layoffs scheduled at this time, however, I have received many calls requesting seniority numbers by members.  A seniority list was distributed at the meeting. It is the most current one I received. After a number of us reviewed the document, it was obvious that there are errors in the document. Some problems have already been sent to personnel, noting issues. If your points are wrong, you need to contact your personnel specialist. These points are important for OT, EOT, etc, so make sure your number is accurate. I will try to keep an updated list. All your reps have a copy.

I met with CCPOA Labor representatives this week and we talked about possible solutions for parole caseload reductions. There are concerns that if money continues for programs for low-end offenders, yet only high-risk offenders remain supervised; there will be empty programs and parolees without treatment.

CCPOA had a document printed:

“PAROLE REFORM

Protecting the public, fixing the system, doing it right.”

which was distributed to the legislature. I would like to collaborate with CCPOA to interact and provide input on future published documents.

At the PAAC meeting we talked to many of the members about options for parole due to the budget crisis. We will not continue with business as usual. We must be a part of the solution. We must ensure that our profession maintains its integrity and importance.  This is based on our unique position in the community of helping parolees succeed in the community by utilizing resources, while also arresting individuals when necessary to ensure public safety. It is important to provide any suggestions to your managers. It is also important to talk to your local police chiefs and sheriffs. Region I Rep Dave MacIlvaine spoke to Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer. He is the President of the California Police Chiefs Association. If the Governor’s proposal is passed, our parole population will be cut in half. The obvious result will be an increase in criminal activity in our communities. We need to contact our local legislators to let them know what the outcome of no parole will be.

We will be meeting with DARS this week to try to work out local overtime agreements similar to those in existence in DAPO. DARS has lost costly seniority OT grievances prompting the division to have a process to assign overtime according to BU 6 seniority.

Taser negotiations will occur on January 27th. Team members from OCS/PAL team are: Leo Pierini, Joe Resko and Eric Kraus. They have the policy/lesson plans. If you have any questions, contact them prior to the negotiation date.

I hope to have the we
bpage up by the end of the month. I will also be listing the job steward list provided by CCPOA. Please let me know if names are incorrect. If you do not want to be on the list, I will remove your name. If you are aware of any individuals no longer working for DAPO, please provide that information also.

The next CCPOA State Board meeting will be February 21st and 22nd in Sacramento. It is a great experience for members to see how their union operates, so put the date on your calendars. I will let you know the location once I know.

The next PAAC meeting is March 14th at Radisson Suites Covina, 1211 E. Garvey Street, Covina, CA 91724.

The Governor has released a summary of his budget, which indicates that DAPO would only supervise serious, violent and sex offenders.  This will be a serious reduction to our caseloads.  We still do not know the full implications of these proposals and we need to see what the legislature will do.  The article in the Sacramento Bee said, “65,000 fewer parolees by 2010”, but it is anyone’s guess where these numbers come from.

CCPOA/EC has not included me in any dialogue with the legislature regarding Assembly Bill 1X 8, nor the Governor’s proposal.  This is frustrating.  I can only assume that the CCPOA Policy Institute is driving the direction that CCPOA is taking on the proposed reductions to DAPO.  There is a parole reform document that was presented to the legislature by CCPOA.  I did not see it until after it had been distributed to legislators.  I continue to try to have access to Mike Jimenez, Stephen Walker, and Chuck Alexander to be involved in the future of parole agents/PAAC.  I have had little success to date.  I am at the CCPOA office in West Sacramento almost daily.  Access to the EC has been minimal.  I will continue to fight, with the help of PAAC membership, to protect our profession.  There are many PAAC members who have been actively involved in reading legislation and contacting their local representatives and law enforcement officials. 

Following the last conference call at CCPOA, I talked to Mike, Chuck and Stephen.  Mike assured me that he would include me in an upcoming meeting with President pro Tem of the Senate, Darrell Steinberg.  It is important that we try to educate legislators on parole supervision.  We know that parole supervision is going to change and we should be a part of the solution by providing input in how best to reduce the parole population while ensuring public safety.

Conversations with job stewards throughout the state have shared information regarding investigations on GPS caseloads.  There is currently no policy on specific requirements for GPS caseloads.  Make sure that if you are running tracks that they reconcile with your ROS entries.  The GPS providers can run reports that show when you run tracks.  These caseloads have the most accountability of all caseloads.  We will be having a GPS work group meeting this month to discuss some of the problems before we negotiate.  Please contact me or any of other team member with questions, issues, and/or suggestions you have.  Team members are:  Andrew Mounts, Paul Price, and Santiago Auditor.  I have received some good suggestions from several GPS agents.  It is important that you contact us before negotiations begin.

I have received a seniority list, but it does not include all BU members within other divisions.  At this time, any future potential layoffs would have to be negotiated and specifics are unknown.

Region III will start redistricting this month.  There are also plans to reduce caseloads.  It is important that Region III agents keep their reps (Debbie Sallie and Diane Boudreaux) advised if they are encountering problems.

Next PAAC meeting is January 10, 2009, at Holiday Inn, 300 J Street, Sacramento, CA.  Representatives from CCPOA and CDCR management will be there to answer questions.  The next CCPOA State Board meeting will be in Sacramento in February.  I encourage all of you to try to attend to see how your organization operates.